US Doesn’t Plan to Withdraw From Syrian Manbij, Despite Turkey’s Warning
Sputnik/ Middle East13:44 29.01.2018(updated 13:59 29.01.2018) Get short URL102
The US doesn’t intend to withdraw its troops from Syria’s Manbij despite Turkey’s warnings, US Central Command chief General Joseph Votel said Monday.
Earlier this month, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said that Ankara couldn’t limit its precautionary measures against the YPG to Syria’s Afrin district and might move to Manbij, also in Aleppo province.
The foreign minister reportedly said that, contrary to US promises, the cities of Manbij and Raqqa were not governed by local councils after being liberated from the Daesh terrorist group, but rather came under the control of the PYD.
Following Cavusoglu’s statement, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that the Turkish Forces would completely clear the region of terrorists, beginning with the Syrian city of Manbij and throughout our entire border with Syria.
On January 20, the Turkish Armed Forces launched an operation, called Olive Branch, against the Kurdish forces in Syria’s Afrin district. The Turkish government said it had informed Damascus and Moscow, its co-guarantor in the Syrian peace process, of its operation, and has taken into account the position of Tehran, the third guarantor state.
DETAILS TO FOLLOW