Jessie Vargas has had no offer to fight Amir Khan but is close to fixing Adrien Broner rematch

Jessie Vargas says he is close to finalising a rematch with Adrien Broner, but is open to facing Amir Khan if the Brit makes a “serious” offer.

The Las Vegas welterweight drew with Broner at the Barclays Center, Brooklyn, last month and talks for a return fight immediately followed.

Live JD Nxtgen Boxing

June 6, 2018, 7:00pm

Live on

Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass

Vargas is confident that the fight would again be an eliminator for the WBC world title – which Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter will battle for later this summer – and that is the route he ideally wants to take.

A fight with Khan does interest Vargas – a two-weight world champion – though but, as of yet, despite apparent interest from the Bolton star, no concrete offer has been made.

“I’m open to facing Khan. If my team are interested then I’m interested and we can make it happen,” Vargas said, speaking exclusively to Sky Sports.

“He’s thrown my name out a few times but there’s been no serious offer or negotiations yet, as I know of.

“I am very grateful for my UK fans and if they’re interested in a fight for me, we will do our upmost to pursue it and make it happen, without a doubt.

Amir Khan made an emphatic return to the ring with a first-round KO of Phil Lo Greco.

“We are open to making all fights happen but, at the moment, I believe the rematch with Broner will happen first.

“There have been firm talks of a return bout since the first fight and we hope to finalise things and make an announcement very, very, soon.”

The 29-year-old American is adamant that he deserved the verdict last time round and is desperate to finally settle the score.

Then, Vargas wants another shot at world honours and is confident that he will be in prime position to take on the winner of Garcia-Porter before the end of the year.

“Of course, I believe I done enough to win last month, Vargas added.

“Anyone who isn’t biased would see that I won. I won the first half of the fight easy with no issues, no one can complain about that, I won eight rounds altogether.

“I lost all respect for Broner after we fought and it’s now time to settle our score.

“It could be ordered as a WBC eliminator and I want to fight for that world title so will follow their rules. That’s the way I’m going.

“Broner and then the winner of Garcia-Porter for the WBC belt, that’s the plan. I hope everything follows through as I have it in my mind.”

Source.