Speaking on this week's F1 Report, IndyCar driver Max Chilton believes that a win for Fernando Alonso in this weekend's Le Mans race, will signal the end of his F1 career.
Fernando Alonso’s Formula 1 future is set to hinge on the “critical” outcome of his participation in this weekend’s Le Mans 24 Hours, IndyCar’s Max Chilton has told the F1 Report.
The McLaren driver is racing for Toyota on his debut in this weekend’s famous sportscar event with the Japanese manufacturer’s two cars considered the favourites for victory.
June 13, 2018, 8:30pm
Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass
A Le Mans win at the first attempt would mean Alonso, already a two-time victor of F1’s showpiece Monaco GP, would be just a victory at the Indianapolis 500 away from completing motorsport’s so-called ‘triple crown’ – a feat the Spaniard has set his sights on achieving.
And Chilton, who finished fourth at last year’s Indy 500 when Alonso made his first attempt to win American motorsport’s blue-riband event, reckons the 36-year-old would find the lure of a full IndyCar schedule in 2019 too strong to resist.
“I think he really enjoyed doing the Indy 500 last year because he suddenly had a car at the front which he hadn’t had for a number of years and it was such a career-changing moment if you win that race,” said Chilton, currently in his third season in IndyCar after 35 races in F1.
“This weekend is really critical for his career and McLaren’s because I honestly think if he wins Le Mans this weekend he will be off probably doing IndyCar next year with McLaren.
“I still don’t think McLaren are going to have a championship-fighting car next year, so why not move sticks and try to win the Indy 500?”
See more discussion on Alonso and McLaren’s IndyCar prospects, and the Spaniard’s chances at Le Mans, in Wednesday’s F1 Report at 8.30pm on Sky Sports F1.
Coming up on this week’s show: