County Championship: Harry Gurney takes six wickets as Notts beat Lancashire at Old Trafford

Nottinghamshire seamer Harry Gurney claimed 6-25 as Lancashire collapsed to a six-wicket defeat at Old Trafford on a manic morning in the Specsavers County Championship.

The left-armer, aided by fellow paceman Jake Ball (4-14), skittled the hosts for 73 in their second innings, Lancashire wilting once Keaton Jennings (27) had been pinned lbw by Gurney from the third ball of the day.

Shiv Chanderpaul and Steven Croft were among five Lancashire players dismissed for ducks as the home side, who shipped their last eight wickets for 15 runs, lasted just 34.2 overs. SCORECARD

Notts shipped four wickets in their pursuit of 10 runs – Australian bowler Joe Mennie picking up Steven Mullaney (1), Chris Nash (0) and Jake Libby (4), and Graham Onions ousting Ross Taylor for a golden duck – before Samit Patel (4no) and Riki Wessels (1no) earned the visitors a crazy win.

However, Yorkshire and Essex’s clash at Headingley was abandoned without a ball being bowled due to a wet outfield – the first time since 1967 the whole of a Championship match has been lost at the ground.

Umpires Ian Gould and Richard Illingworth called off the game following an inspection at 10am, meaning the sides earn five points each.

Defending champions Essex welcome a shell-shocked Lancashire to Chelmsford from Friday, with Yorkshire hosting a buoyant Nottinghamshire in a match Tykes coach Andrew Gale is confident will go ahead.

“The outfield has got better, but only slowly. We just haven’t had any drying weather. This is the first time the sun’s been out, it’s been above 10 degrees and there’s been a bit of wind.”

In Division Two, meanwhile, Gloucestershire lost four wickets on the final morning at Kent before knocking off the 108 runs required for victory, Benny Howell (52no) sealing a five-wicket win and a 90-ball half-century with a four off Harry Podmore. SCORECARD

Matt Henry and Darren Stevens shared Monday morning’s wickets after Gloucestershire had resumed on 61-1, New Zealander Henry completing match figures of 7-70.