Trump responds to NBA star Steph Curry, says invitation to White House ‘is withdrawn’

  • Email

President Donald Trump responded to NBA star Steph Curry’s saying he didn’t want to go to the White House by saying the “invitation is withdrawn.”

Curry of the championship Golden State Warriors has been outspoken about not going to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

No formal White House invite had been made to the team but champion teams often make such a visit. The Warriors, winner of the 2017 NBA championship, have been in discussions with the White House about whether to visit, ESPN reported.

“I don’t want to go,” Curry told the press Friday. “My beliefs stay the same.”

Trump tweeted Saturday morning in response.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr said he expects the team to meet in coming days to decide whether to go.

Curry, the team’s star shooter, has said it was important for the team “to understand the magnitude” of their decision of whether to visit the White House.

“Just like our country, every opinion counts and matters,” Curry said, according to ESPN.

“Based on the conversations we’ve had in the past and what people have said to the media, to each other, I know pretty much where everybody kind of stands on it,” he said. “But we want to respect the opportunity to represent not only ourselves, our own beliefs, but our organization because we’re obviously in this position because we won a championship and we did something special together. So for us to just really take the time to understand the magnitude of this decision and the right thing to do, the right way to go about it is important.”

Source.